“The world is before you, and you need not take it or leave it or it was when you came in.” — James Baldwin I was born and raised in Sierra Leone, a country that, for much of my youth, was overshadowed by civil war. There were many days and months growing up hearing gunfire instead of morning bells. Amidst scarcity, chaos, and uncertainty, I discovered that resilience is built in the act of showing up, believing in possibility, and adding value wherever we can. Some people will never understand the strength it takes to keep going when the world feels heavy—like a barricade mounted against you. But those who have lived through war, displacement, and the long road toward rebuilding know. They know that perseverance isn’t a choice; it’s an act of faith. During my years at Fourah Bay College in the early 1990s, I had the privilege of studying a broad range of disciplines, including Philosophy, Law, History, International Relations, English, and Literature. Each of these fields ...
Comments